Table of contents
Saunas are the ultimate indulgence when it comes to wellness and relaxation. They produce so many benefits to the human body and make a great addition to any outdoor environment. Saunas work wonders in cold weather; help you relax after a tough day; ease sore muscles; improve circulation; and clear toxins from your skin. Depending on your needs, different types of outdoor saunas provide unique and distinct benefits. Check out five of the most popular types of saunas, and discover the benefits of each:
An infrared sauna, also known as a heat therapy room, is built with infrared lamps that use electromagnetic radiation to warm the body. Rather than a traditional sauna that heats up the air around you, infrared lights directly heat your body. Many manufacturers claim that only 20 percent of the heat is transmitted in the air, while the other 80 percent directly heats your body.
There are two types of infrared saunas; far-infrared and near-infrared. Far infrared saunas use rays that mainly emit light around the body, while near-infrared lamps emit rays that can travel several inches past the skin. The benefits to using an outdoor infrared sauna include the following:
A barrel sauna is exactly what it sounds like; it's a giant barrel-shaped building installed in your yard for use as a sauna. Barrel saunas gained attraction in the early 70s, around the same time wooden cedar barrel hot tubs became popular. The design originated from the centuries-old wine and whiskey barrel construction. Barrel saunas allow hot air to naturally circulate around the entire space, creating warmer temperatures in the lower section of the barrel. In most “box” shaped saunas the hot air rises to the top, but the round design allows full immersion within the warm air.
The benefits of using an outdoor barrel sauna include:
Utilize any design, like a small cabin or hut, and turn it into your very own sauna. Start from scratch, find a template online or purchase a sauna kit. Most designs call for a concrete, wood, gravel, or pier foundation with the main structure built from wood. If this sounds a bit overwhelming, “How to Build an Outdoor Sauna in Your Backyard” will get you started.
The benefits to building an outdoor home sauna include:
A steam sauna heats water to create pressurized steam that is then released into a closed structure. The steam produces a wet heat around the body that may feel like sweat, but is actually condensed water from humid air. A steam sauna is usually between 110 and 120°F with 100% humidity.
The benefits to using an outdoor steam sauna include:
A traditional Finnish sauna, also known as a dry sauna, is heated by a pile of hot rocks that are sprinkled with water at certain intervals. Unlike a steam sauna where there is 100% humidity, a dry sauna usually ranges between 10 and 60% humidity depending on how much water is added to the rocks. The temperatures stay around 150 to 195°F. This type of sauna stimulates your body to sweat more.
The benefits to using an outdoor Finnish sauna include:
At the end of the day, any one of these outdoor saunas to relax offers incredible health benefits. Saunas not only relax muscles and flush the body of toxins, but they also help rejuvenate your soul and restore your peace. Remember to stay hydrated before and after any sauna session. Enjoy the sweat!
Make your sauna special with simple decorations. Featured image by: termis1983.
KÜHL Short Sleeve Best Sellers